Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Littering is Not a Statement

Dear Gentlemen,
I support, and actively engage in, the littering of biodegradable materials. As long as it's biodegradable, I have no problem discarding whatever it is on public streets, sidewalks, or someone's yard. For example, I routinely litter my lunch remnants, fruit cores, and tobacco. I see nothing wrong with this. After all, I am merely returning God's creations back to the earth.

However, in recent days I have been receiving more and more dirty looks from my fellow citizens. Am I in the wrong or is this anti-littering thing a product of the liberal left media?

Cheers,
Litter Bug


Dear Mr. Bug,
A gentleman, generally, does not litter. Littering is not a political act—it is one of laziness. A litterer tells the world that he lacks the energy, the courtesy, or the forethought to be held responsible for the items in his care, or for much else.

An apple core on the sidewalk doesn’t brighten anyone’s day. And the fact that it will become smaller and browner by the end of the week doesn’t make anyone feel better about it.

Now, a gentleman doesn’t necessarily dig through and divide his own trash, nor does he necessarily scold the litterers among us. But he doesn’t make the world around him worse when the cost to himself is merely carrying his trash a few paces or a few blocks to the nearest can.

Good Luck,
The Gentlemen

No comments:

Post a Comment