Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Convincing the Lady You Can Fix Things

Dear Gentlemen,
My woman thinks I am utterly useless at any and all household maintenance and repair jobs, while she believes that she is quite handy. Whenever I start any project she accuses me of simply taking apart and destroying "her" house. And whenever I run out of screws or have to stop the project for any reason, she suggests I do not have the requisite skill and knowledge to actually repair anything, and is quick to either call a professional, or to patronizingly suggest that this it is a cute hobby that I tinker with things on the weekend.

Last weekend I took apart a broken - broken! – kids’ toy and could not fix it. She said it was like living with a "meth head" And she is always putting my tools someplace I can't find them and then accusing me of taking all the screwdrivers out of the kitchen drawer. What can I do to convince my woman I can fix things, and how can I stop the abuse?

Sincerely,
Man of the House



Dear Man of the House,
If you want to convince your woman you can fix things, fix them. Like a credit card, start with a small project and totally finish it, including all clean up. And tell her how you enjoyed the project. She’ll appreciate that you fixed something and were doing something you enjoy. Over time the abuse should subside.

But really, how bad are you at fixing things? Even good carpenters are called messy by their significant others, or overconfident, but never useless. And if you can actually fix things, you should get a workshop, where prying eyes will not be able to see, and criticize the messy middle of a project. The item goes in broken and comes out fixed and that's all she has to know.

And if you are a poor tinkerer, then consider your weakness as a strength in bargaining, for better tools and your own workspace. Get the kitchen its own cute little set of tools, and get yourself some new Made-in-America real tools.

Of course when your woman finds her pink tools in your workspace you just have to take the heat, and put all the pink tools away in the impossible-to-close case in which they came.

Happy Fixing,
The Gentlemen

No comments:

Post a Comment