Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Part of Marriage is Not Excusing a Fart?

Dear Gentlemen,
I am married with 2 small children. I have lived with my wife for 10 years. She has suddenly got it in her head that I need to say "excuse me" every time I pass gas. Do I have to do this?

Breaking Wind, Grand Rapids


Dear Mr. Wind,
Being married means living at close quarters. And the difference between close quarters being a cozy, enjoyable experience and being pure hell often comes down to common courtesy. Your wife is a lady and should be treated as such. Saying "excuse me" is no great abrogation of your patriarchal prerogatives. It costs you little, and will ultimately gain you much. Hell, go the extra yard and excuse yourself after belches too. She'll appreciate the consideration.

Politely,
The Gentlemen

No comments:

Post a Comment