Monday, January 23, 2012

Do I Step Aside?

Dear Gentlemen,


When I'm standing in the doorway of a crowded train and step aside to let people on, I never step aside all the way. All the area I vacate will be claimed so I step aside only as far as leaves me enough space. People are usually irritated. they have to squeeze into the train because I'm in the way. They let me know it with a little emphasis as they brush by.


Fuck those people?


Mr. "Don't Push Me", Brooklyn


Dear Mr. Don't Push Me,
There comes a point in the daily commute of many gentlemen at which the situation is unpleasant and yet can’t be immediately improved. On the train, it may be that you lack that inch of personal space. Driving, it may be the crawl of the traffic. A gentleman should accept this, and accept that it is equally unpleasant for everyone else on the train or highway.

The mistake that many gentlemen make is that they fail to see that there is no fixing their situation. By fighting for that extra inch of space on the train or that extra car length on the road, a gentleman antagonizes his fellow commuters in an unwinnable fight. That creates a sense of general antagonism which, as you seem to know, follows him throughout the day.

In heavy traffic, or on a crowded train, everyone is just trying to get somewhere. A gentleman knows when he can’t control the situation and can only control how he responds to it.

So, yes, graciously step aside.
Sincerely,
The Gentlemen









No comments:

Post a Comment