Friday, January 20, 2012

The 1990 Trap

Gentlemen,

Here is my problem. Recently, I have found myself stuck in the year 1990. I can't escape it. My entire life revolves around things I was interested in as a twelve year old. I wear Air Jordan's. Not just the shoes. The whole gear. I listen to Public Enemy. I recently pulled out a bunch of old books from my youth and reread all of them. One of them was Muggsy Bogues autobiography. What in the hell qualifies Muggsy Bogues to have an autobiography anyway? Then again, what in the hell qualifies you to give advice?

At any rate, I am concerned that this regression towards the days of my youth will stunt my progression towards becoming a gentlemen of the third millennium. I am equally concerned about the impact of this on my 5 year old son. He wears Jordan's too. Not the new ones, which he asked for. Retros, which I forced on him.

Is this normal behavior for a 33 year old father of three? I don't remember my father acting this way when I was a kid. Perhaps this a problem that is unique to other men of the third millennium because (let's face it) the third millennium sucks ass. It is possible that 1990 was as good as it gets?

Please help me. You are my last hope.

Nick, KC


Mr. Nick,
Life comes at a gentleman pretty fast, and both the import and the outcome of the present moment is unclear. That can lead a man to look to the placid days of the past with undue affection. Imagining 1990 from your point of view, I can imagine long afternoons sorting through sheets of Donruss baseball cards. That year, the Kansas City Royals had the highest payroll in baseball, featuring Bo Jackson, Danny Tartabull, Bret Saberhagen and George Brett's final batting title. Good year.

The urge to look backward helps a gentleman resist the tide of faddish crap that comes pouring at him in what seems like every waking moment. But a gentleman should resist the urge to linger on the past. It’s a mistake to overvalue one’s youth at the expense of a gentleman’s continuing education from the world he lives in and from the people around him. It's a challenge, but one that will benefit you and those around you in equal parts over the years.

So go check out some new books, but keep the Muggsy Bogues. And don’t be an old, boring man until you have to.
Sincerely,
The Gentlemen

No comments:

Post a Comment