Thursday, May 3, 2012

Do These Awesome Muscles Make Me Look Gay?

Dear Gentlemen,
I live in the midwest where not all 30-year-old single men work out at a gym. I go to the gym right around the corner from my house. It is very convenient and I want to continue to use this gym. For awhile now, and this morning in particular, there is a group of gay men in the locker room that are seriously checking me out.

I think it is inappropriate. I don't like it. But I sort of feel like it is my fault, and that maybe I just think they are checking me out. Straight men have a strict code about looking at other men: You don't do it. Is it wrong that I think gay men should adhere to the same standard?

Also, I know I could go to a different gym, but in the midwest there is a good chance I would run into the same problem. And I don't think I should be the one that should have to change my behavior. If I was a woman and a group of guys was checking me out, I would complain to the manager, but as a man that seems a little weak and ungentlemanly. Complaining in general seems ungentlemanly.

Should I say something? Whom should I say it to? Should I just go to a new gym?

Thanks,
Leered At in MO


Dear Leered At,
It is an unfortunate circumstance when the most difficult corse of action is in fact the easiest thing to do. If you think some dude in your locker room is checking out your stuff in a lewd and prurient manner, you can tell him you don't appreciate the stare and would prefer a bit of privacy while you towel off and dress.

That said, it does not mean you won't be yelled at for being a homophobe, a bigot or bastard. And maybe you kind of are, I mean, would you care if a strange girl was lusting after your stuff? Probably not.

But a gentleman is honest and straightforward. Don't overplay your hand, admit you have no idea what he is looking at or what is on his mind, but that regardless, your life would be a little bit better if he stopped staring at you.

The less you say about the whole thing the less can be thrown back at you. And of course, if you have a really great body, people are probably going to stare. That's just the cost of being beautiful.

Out the Corner of Our Eye,
The Gentlemen

No comments:

Post a Comment