Friday, April 13, 2012

When Someone Interrupts Your Victory Lap

Dear Gentlemen,
After informing my co-workers that I am leaving my job, one of them decided that this was the best time to let loose with some choice invectives.

I was taken aback, especially because we still have one month left of passing each other in the hallway and seeing each other at meetings. If this had happened before my decision to leave, I would have reported him to HR, but now I would feel like a tattle tale. Do you have any thoughts on how to proceed?
Sincerely,
Upwardly Mobile in Uppsala



Dear Mr. Mobile,
A gentleman should always look for the high road, and if he has the stomach for it, take that road. It sounds like you’re on your way to greener pastures, and thus, have won. In the 21st century workplace, loyalty isn’t a real consideration in most professional decisions.
So, having won, and having done nothing wrong, let this former co-worker rant and rave to his heart’s content. Meet his rage with calm, and show him for the trapped and jealous little drone he is.
Peaceably,
The Gentlemen

No comments:

Post a Comment